This week for the Bible Study “What Happens When Women Say Yes to God” we went over chapters 2 and 3. They discuss how to really know if God is speaking and being radically obedient to God’s call.
They asked us to think about a time when we had a #saywhat moment with God.
I can say that when God laid it on my husband and mine’s hearts to be foster parents, it was truly like “say what” for me.
If you know anything about our family, you know we love kids! Adam has been in Student Ministry for thirteen years- so that includes our entire married life and a few years before that. Also, we have one awesome little boy! And we have also had three teens live in our home for three different school years through the exchange program. AND we have had other various teens and young adults stay in our home for varying stints of time. But when it became clear that God wanted us to open our home to love on kids in a different way, I struggled. God and I would have conversations like, “really God, isn’t spending a week with the kids at CIY enough?” Or “ok, what if we have kids over weekly for a Bible study in our home, isn’t that enough?” And I always felt God say, those are good, but that’s not the whole picture…
There are always so many questions when adding people to your family. Like how will it affect our family of three? Will they like being apart of our busy family? Can we afford this? How will our only child react to others playing with his stuff? Is this something God is really calling us to do?
This week I learned some more important questions to help see if what you are sensing God calling you to is really from Him—
1) Does what I’m hearing line up with Scripture? Foster care does line up with scripture. We are called to take care of children whose parents cannot care for them. (James 1:27)
2) Is what I’m hearing consistent with God’s character?God’s relationship with us is very much a parent-child relationship. So for us to care for some of His children is consistent with how God has always cared for me.
3) Is what I’m hearing being confirmed through other messages? Confirmations were coming from all over for us. We have several friends who are foster and/or adoptive parents and they were always encouraging us to get certified. Also, sharing God’s love was very much a theme for me during this time.
4) Is what I’m hearing beyond me? Now I feel like “beyond me” is an understatement. Being a foster mom has stretched me more than anything in my whole life. Not going overseas. Not moving 700 miles away from family. Not being in ministry. Nothing is like it. Nothing.
5) Would what I’m hearing please God? I feel like this question deserves a DUH! For this situation, this question is similar to #1 &2, God wants us caring for children who need love and direction.
And now, here we are almost 6 months into being a foster family. And I truly believe God laid in on ALL of our hearts to say YES to Him. Have the last six months been perfect? Far from it. I still have a lot to learn about loving children that have been placed away from their family. And God is still teaching me what perfect love looks like. But I am thankful that I was able to work through the SAY WHAT so that our family could say YES!
I’d like to leave you with one quote from chapter 3–
We need not fear what our obedience will cause to happen in our life. We should only fear what our DISobedience will cause us to miss.
Praying that you are listening for God’s voice as He is calling you and your family to do something greater for Him and that you will allow God’s perfect love to drive out all fear and disobedience.