John 12:42-43 says “Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved human praise more than praise from God.
There are not many times I can say this, but I DON’T want this scripture to ever be about me. I do not want to be so fearful of men that I would not openly acknowledge my faith. I love the Lord with my whole heart. And I want others to know that about me and to come to love Him too.
If you find yourself being consumed with other people’s opinion (or “human praise”), here are some truths to remember:
1. Some people like you; some people don’t.
2. Some people admire and respect you; some people despise and hate you.
3. Some people agree with you; some people like to argue with you.
4. Some people encourage you; some people criticize and tear you down.
5. Some people rejoice with you; some people rain on your parade.
6. Some people are thrilled with the changes in your life; some people dismiss it.
7. Some people love to see you break out of stereotypical paradigms; some people get mad.
8. Some people approve of your spouse, kids, hair, clothes, hobbies, style; some people dislike the whole package.
9. Some people see your potential; some people are threatened by it.
10. Some people are happy when you’re blessed and successful; some people are jealous.
(This list was also taken from Beth Jones post on August 22 entitled Whose Opinion Matters?)
Proverbs 29:25 reminds us “The fear of human opinion disables; trusting in God protects you from that.”
I will put in trust in HIM!